FAQ: Partner Services

Voluntary partner notification programs–also known as partner counseling and referral services (PCRS)–allow individuals who have tested positive to get help in notifying previous sex or needle sharing partners that they may have been exposed to HIV.

Through these services you will receive counseling about how to notify partners yourself or you can have a public health officer do it for you. The health official will ask for the name, address, and phone number of other people (contacts) with whom you have had sex or shared needles. The health department will then try to locate each contact to tell them that they have been exposed to someone with HIV and could be at risk. They will advise these contacts to be tested for HIV. The health department does not disclose the name of the person who has tested positive, but in some cases, it may be obvious to the contact, particularly if he/she has had sex with only one or few other people.

Partner Counseling and Referral Services Phone Numbers: